Today I finished the first draft of my novel, tentatively entitled Herb Enchanter. The main character is a 6th century sorcerer and healer in Kent, England. The book is historical fiction, not fantasy. Enchanter and sorcerer are modern words for early Anglo-Saxon practitioners who blended magic and medicine. I actually “finished” the writing around the middle of last week, but today I completed certain formatting changes so that it is now in a form for me to review and revise. I started writing with Nanowrimo on November 1 last year, and today the word count is at 102,202.
|Medieval physicians, from the British Library manuscript Harley 1585, folio 9v. The British Library has made images from the Catalogue of Illuminated Manuscripts available under the Public Domain mark.|
Of course, the novel is really far from finished. I still have substantial revisions and will need to completely re-write certain scenes. Nonetheless, it is a good feeling to have made it this far!
I plan to take advantage of the Nanowrimo offer from CreateSpace for two free paperback copies of the book. So my goals for June are to make an initial revision and format the novel for CreateSpace printing. It will almost certainly need more editing than a month will allow before I’ll have the novel ready to share publicly, but I think it will be helpful to go through the CreateSpace process to learn more about those steps in self-publishing.